[published: 11/11/2019 in Legislative Updates]
Action Alert: Advocacy message on HB 11 (Prenatal oral health care) November 1, 2019
Action is encouraged to be taken as soon as possible The Ohio Senate Health, Human Services, and Medicaid Committee is considering House Bill 11, sponsored by Reps. Gayle Manning and Stephanie Howse (pronounced House).
HB 11 is a priority bill for the Ohio House that contains two dental hygiene components: coverage of a 2nd Medicaid prophylaxis cleaning during pregnancy and the ability to be reimbursed for providing education programming in group settings for mothers to be.
Also included in the bill are requirements for tobacco cessation product coverage and leadbased paint education.
ODHA is SUPPORTIVE OF THIS BILL!
YOU need to reach out to only your Senate member and share the message below. Past President Barb Ranck stood up for you in the spring and testified on this bill.
We need you to stand with her and make 1 phone call and send an email to your Senate member ASAP! We only need Senate members contacted at this point.
If your Senate Member serves on the Senate Health Committee (see list immediately below), we especially need your voice!
Senate Health Human Services, and Medicaid Committee members:
Burke, S. Huffman, Antonio, Gavarone, Hackett, Hottinger, Kunze, Lehner, Maharath, Roegner, Schuring, Thomas
***We need you to call and email your Ohio Senate member and: Introduce (Re-introduce) yourself -give your name, address, and phone number.
Background if you want to design your own phone message:
• Personal introduction
• Tell them your Association SUPPORTS House Bill 11 sponsored by Reps. Gayle Manning and Stephanie Howse.
• This bill will help solve the infant mortality crisis in Ohio by requiring Medicaid coverage of a 2nd dental cleaning in a year during pregnancy. Additionally, hygienists will be able to educate mothers-to-be in group healthcare training sessions;
• Ohio is in an infant mortality crisis and as a dental hygienist I can be a part of the solution.
• I urge you to support House Bill 11!
• Your consideration of this request is appreciated.
• Say “thank you”! How to Find out who your State Senator is:
1. Go to www.legislature.ohio.gov
2. Scroll down to “Who represents me?”
3. Enter your address and zip +4 (It is critical to enter the +4 digits since it will narrow the search down to your exact legislators; if you don’t know your extra 4 digits, use the link here https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input) and click on “Submit”
4. You will then see the name of your State Senator.
5. Click on the icon and it will take you to a page all about your legislator. You can click on email Name of legislator and it takes you to an email portal.
6. Use the message below to cut and paste or create your own message HB 11 Advocacy Support message - for emails and/or calls
Add Your Personal introduction:
I am asking you to SUPPORT HB 11, sponsored by Reps. Gayle Manning and Stephanie Howse. The bill is pending in the Senate Health, Human Services, and Medicaid Committee and passed the House unanimously. House Bill 11 is a priority bill that seeks to address the infant mortality crisis in Ohio by, among other things, requiring Medicaid coverage of a 2nd dental cleaning in a year during pregnancy. Additionally, hygienists will be able to educate mothers-to-be in group healthcare training sessions. Ohio is in an infant mortality crisis and as a dental hygienist I can and want to be a part of the solution. I urge you to join me in supporting House Bill 11! Your consideration of this request is appreciated. Thanks,